Population Foundation of India has been at the forefront of non governmental efforts towards a rights-based, gender sensitive approach to human development. We work in close cooperation and coordination with official agencies and programmes, both at the Centre and in the states.
We support innovative research, experimentation and social action to further the cause of population stabilisation. We provide a forum for pooling of experiences and sharing of professional expertise to strengthen and enlarge the operational base of the family welfare programme through a number of projects with the following objectives:
- To extend full support and provide guidance in formulating and influencing population policies and programmes
- To serve as a catalytic agent to promote programmes at different levels directed towards the goal of population stabilization and development
- To improve the quality of life of the people through RCH programmes with special emphasis on reduction of neo-natal mortality , infant mortality, maternal morbidity and mortality, adolescents' health needs, HIV/AIDS prevention and care, unmet need for contraception, women's health and their reproductive rights and gender issues
- To strengthen non-government organizations, community-based organizations, self-help groups, panchayati raj institutions and the organised sector on population, health and social development issues with the goal of empowering the community as a whole
- To advocate at all levels to promote quality of life and sustainable development.