A Model Initiative to Ensure Quality Family Planning Services in Uttarakhand
The Himalayan Institute Hospital Trust, Dehradun
Population and area
2,00,000 people in Doiwala block of Dehradun district and the adjoining slums of Rishikesh (Chandreshwar Nagar)
Four years (September 1, 2008 – August 31, 2012)
To develop and implement an innovative model of quality family planning services in Doiwala block o and adjoining slums of Rishikesh (Chandreshwar Nagar).
- To identify the unmet needs for contraception among the eligible couples (wherein the women are in the age group 15-49 years)
- To enhance awareness on family planning among eligible couples through appropriate communication strategies for behaviour change
- To reinforce service providers’ (ANMs/Nurses, ASHAs) capacities in counselling and quality services for family planning including infertility
- To provide a basket of choices of safe and effective family planning methods (including non-scalpel vasectomy, female condoms, injectable contraceptive, emergency contraception, etc)
- To document the process and results of the intervention and share the learning with various stakeholders including the government.